St. Mary's Church, Wilshaw
The Church was built as a memorial to Mary, daughter of Joseph and Eleanor Hirst (and great grand daughter of the original William Brook). Mary had died in childbirth in 1859 and the foundation stone was laid in 1862 by her mother.
The Sunday School was well attended - 104 scholars in 1866. There was also a day School for infants run by James and Elizabeth Fowler. In 1872 a clock was installed in the Church and a new school was built in 1873.
The Church, built in Romanesque style at a cost of £3,500 paid by Joseph Hirst, was consecrated in 1863 by the Bishop of Ripon. Originally it had texts painted on the walls and over the windows, until later redecoration covered these. There was also a Sunday School and a dwelling for the vicar within the church building. The first incumbent was the Rev. J Spencer. Initially the Bishop had not been keen to receive the new church, apparently not fully approving its integral style. However, he changed his mind when Joseph Hirst threatened to offer it to the Methodists instead!
All services begin at 11.00 a.m
Common worship communion
All age worship and
Vicar of the Parish of Christ the King, Meltham - Rev. Maureen Read
Minister with responsibility for St. Mary's Church, Wilshaw - Rev. Judy Kenworthy
Enquiries - 01484 851 158
The Church of St Mary the Virgin is located within the pretty and peaceful hamlet of Wilshaw which has about 150 inhabitants. Wilshaw has no shops, public houses or school but it has a private residential home for the elderly and a village hall. Many of the buildings are listed buildings.
Rev. Maureen Read is the Vicar in charge and Rev. Judy Kenworthy is the ordained Local Minister. We are part of the Parish of Christ the King, Meltham and are involved in the Wakefield Ministry Scheme.
The young people do not meet weekly but take part in an annual project and an Easter workshop. They are also involved in the all age worship services. The Church has a small but select choir and a music group and a new and attractive Newsletter produced monthly. The church tower is floodlit and a new garden is being designed to the front of the church. Quiz evenings and coffee days are held regularly, and each year a gift weekend is held with a delicious three-course meal.
At Christmas, an informal gathering is held in the village hall on Sunday morning instead of in the church. This is a chance to sing carols, play games, enjoy Christmas music and share mince pies, cake and mulled wine. This is part of our outreach to the community and attracts many people who do not normally come to church.
Many people who come to our church do not live in the village but travel in from surrounding areas, although we are a small congregation we find this enables us to be a real family, sharing with and caring for every member as we serve God and our community.
Help us &